The 2020 Census is here. The EDC encourages every Census recipient needs to have their employees, friends, and family to fill it out.
Why is this important for South Miami-Dade?
Data from the 2020 Census will impact our community for the next 10 years! $675 Billion annually is allocated by the Federal Government based on the Census. In 2010, Florida had the highest omission rate in the US, which cost the state over $7 billion in lost revenue. A third of the Florida Budget is made up of Census-driven programs. As a growth state, an accurate count gives us more money from Washington and provides the basis for reapportioning Congressional seats and distributing billions of dollars in federal funding for schools, hospitals, roads, public works, and other vital programs.
Starting in March, you will get an invitation to respond in the mail.
- March 12-20 – An invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census
- March 16-24 – A reminder letter will arrive via U.S. mail (if you haven’t responded yet)
- March 26-April 3 – A reminder postcard will arrive via U.S. mail
- April 1 – CENSUS DAY
- April 8-16 – A reminder letter and paper questionnaire
- April 20-27 – A FINAL reminder postcard will arrive via U.S. mail before the U.S. Census Bureau begins to follow-up in person
- May 13-July 31 — If a household does not respond to any of the invitations, a census taker will follow up in person
Taking the census is safe and easy. Your data is confidential and protected by federal law. Your answers can only be used to produce statistics. By law, your information cannot be shared with immigration enforcement agencies, law enforcement agencies, or be used to determine your eligibility for government benefits.
For further details on the 2020 Census, visit the links below.